As part of Lutheran Social Services of Illinois, a faith-based organization, St. Matthew Center for Health makes pastoral care available to all residents and their families. Clergy and members from the resident’s own congregation are invited to visit on a regular basis.
Centrally located in the St. Matthew facility is our beautiful contemporary chapel, complete with stained glass windows, organ and piano. Ecumenical worship services are held on Sundays and Wednesdays, and Bible study is offered weekly. Residents may also choose to attend choir practices and performances. Roman Catholic Mass is held twice a month, with communion offered weekly. The chapel is also available for meditation and special programs.
St. Matthew benefits in many ways from the ministries of churches throughout our area. These congregations provide special music programs, monthly birthday parties for residents, and Christmas activities and gifts.
The dietary well-being of each resident is closely monitored by Leslie Rieser, Food Service Director and Certified Dietary Manager, and by Jadeda Thomas, Registered Dietitian.
- Each neighborhood of St. Matthew’s has a dining area where residents enjoy their meals. Most residents have “To The Table” service, which gives individuals their choice of entrée, side dishes and desserts. Tray service is provided in some areas.
- Taste Testing Parties give residents a chance to sample new seasonal items and vote for their favorites.
A quiet, residential neighborhood in Park Ridge, two blocks south of Lutheran General Hospital.
- Enclosed landscaped courtyards with an accessible raised area for residents to garden.
- Faith Place (Alzheimer’s unit) provides a secure outdoor area with gazebo and walking paths.
- South lawn provides space for outdoor events such as Family Fun Fest .
St. Matthew’s Service League provides residents with two beautiful aviaries. Bird watchers
never tire watching the collection of colorful exotic birds as they feed and nest, entertaining
all who pass by.
Private and semi-private.
- Large windows, lavatories, call lights, access to telephone and cable services.
- Dressers, beds and linens provided. Residents may use some of their furniture from home if space allows.
- Laundry services provided.
In promoting physical, mental and social well-being, the St. Matthew Center for Health activities staff provide a wide variety of programs for residents.
- Morning group exercise sessions are specifically designed for seniors, including those in wheelchairs.
- Other programs appeal to individual preferences, such as gardening, group games, Bible study, movies, music, art, crafts, gourmet club, knitting, current events, and trivia.
- The kazoo band, chapel services, music programs, hymn sing, and karaoke offer opportunities for musical expression.
- Outings include shopping trips, holiday lights, autumn color, fishing trips, bowling, Navy Pier, restaurants, and more. The St. Matthew bus allows secure travel for those in wheelchairs.
The St. Matthew Fitness Center is a new multi-functioning space that houses the exercise and physical therapy center, computer lab, and juice bar.
- Specialized Senior Nautilus™ equipment for prescribed therapy or general fitness.
- Physical therapy provided by Aegis Therapies, gives individualized services to maintain or restore function. Available to short-term residents following surgery, stroke or injury, as well as to long-term residents and community-based seniors.
In our comfortable computer lab residents at St. Matthew Center for Health are able to surf the web and send and receive email. Group classes and one-on-one tutoring help those learning to use computers for the first time. The computers have 2.80 GHz Intel Celeron processors and DVD/CDRW combo drives. Special “Bigkeys LX” keyboards with oversized keys make it easy to see and use the keyboards. Nineteen-inch monitors allow larger images for easy viewing. The lab includes a color printer.
St. Matthew seniors are enjoying this amenity. After her first class, Connie, 95, said “I had to learn to keep the mouse on the table and not pick it up!” Buzzy says, “I thought the class was a good thing. I wish I had done this ten years ago!”
Volunteers and staff help residents establish email accounts and learn how to send and receive attachments. Residents also go to the lab to shop online and play computer games.
volunteering at st. matthew center for health
If you have never done volunteer work with senior citizens, you have missed something special. Fortunately, opportunities for volunteering are plentiful. St. Matthew Center for Health’s extensive recreational programs offer people of all ages possibilities for rewarding volunteer work. To be a part of our volunteer family, call the Recreation Services Department at 847-825-5531.
Children from area schools come to St. Matthew to do craft projects with our residents, visit, and perform service projects. Individually, student volunteers help residents in the computer lab, visit one-on-one, and help with special events. Throughout the year, students from music and dance schools entertain our seniors with performances.
volunteer opportunities for individuals and community groups
Individuals looking for regular or occasional volunteer work that fits their talents and schedules may consider these options:
- Assist residents with…
- Arts & crafts
- Cards, games, bumper pool
- Transporting residents to activities within the building
- Help seniors in the computer lab
- Serve in the juice bar or ice cream parlor
- Visit and talk with residents one-on-one
- Join the St. Matthew Service League
- Help with building and grounds projects
- Provide informational talks on your job, hobby or travels
- Read to residents or help a resident with correspondence
- Entertain with an instrumental or vocal concert
- Be a pet visitor – bring your pet to visit residents
- Accompany residents and staff on outings
- Help with one of the clubs – Red Hats, Garden Club, Knit Wits, Men’s Club
Community Organizations or Large Group Opportunities:
- Donate items for Christmas and birthday presents
- Donate prizes for bingo/bunco
- Sponsor one of our monthly birthday parties
- Help with a major special event
- Visit residents during the holidays or help serve holiday meals
- Perform a musical, play or sing-a-long